We're not built to stay in one place too long.

Monday, 8 November 2010

Violence in the land of the rising sun

I was running late for class, I couldn't find my English teacher, so I started towards class alone. When I got upstairs I was met with the usual "Scotti Sensei!!!!!" The kids were unusually thick in the hall. I was talking to two of them when I looked over and saw this crazy little kid beating the shit out of another student.

My company has a strict "No interfering!" policy. They basically tell me regularly not to commit any acts of discipline. Which normally is totally fine. In fact, I prefer not punishing any student for the usual things they do in class. And the teachers are fantastic at being a strict enforcer. Seriously, if a student is acting up, he (or once, she) gets dragged out of the room by their ankle and screamed at in the hall. They always come back in tears, and silent. It's amazing.

So I start for the students fighting in the hall. For clarity, these kids are ichi nensei. So 7th graders? I yell "Hey stop! Which means practically nothing to them. But one of the kids is holding this tiny one back, and he looks at me like "Seriously? Okay....you asked for it." And lets go of this pocket Hercules. The little one took off into the crowd, with his angry little fists flying. I grabbed him just prior to his tiny fist connecting. I picked him up, which just pissed him off even more. He started crying and kicking me. I pinned his arms against him and dragged him into an empty room, just as I had seen every teacher do before me.

Standing between him and the door I was effectively a shield against his ADD fueled rage. No clue what he was saying to me, but I bet it would have made my mother blush.

Suddenly the head of teachers walks past the room, I opened the door saying "Sumimasen!" (Excuse me) He came over and within seconds had the kid in tears on the floor.

I still have no idea what that was all about. But that kid really seems to respect me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment