We're not built to stay in one place too long.

Friday, 28 May 2010

Doesn't want to miss a thing.


It only took me about 10 years, but I made it to Japan. 

I think I got here a little late. I should have left a long time ago. I would have saved a lot of energy, and a lot of friendships. 

But I am here now. Right now. About as happy as I have ever been. I came here to figure out who I am when I am alone. Without the backbone that I developed over the years in my friends and family, and I am starting to realize I kind of like that person. I do miss that Minnesota backbone, how couldn't I? But it's nice to see what I am capable of without it.

Immediately on landing I was thrust into a entirely new world of uncertainty, and confusion. I manage to live my life on the border of a happy state of numb confusion most of the time anyways, but this is different. I couldn't figure out what was going on those first few days if I wanted to.  Right off the plane I was surrounded by foreign. Everything was different, just like that. It seems like a world away, and it has only been two months. I can't imagine where I will be in a year. So much opportunity for growth. 

I would go into stories involving the life I have lived over the last few months, but I think I have explained it to most people as it is. I will just try my best to summarize. 

I immediately began to loathe foreigners in Japan. Self loathing? I suppose. I met some Australians the first night here, one of them was asking for the toilet. He sat there grabbing his dick saying "I need to WEE WEE."  I don't know much, but I think Toilet is pretty universal. I told him that. He didn't approve. 

The drive to Hiroshima (via bus) was an experience in itself. I was the only passenger on that bus, and I spent the whole time smiling. The driver kept looking back at me and laughing. I would crest a hill and let out an audible "ooooooooooooohhhh....." with a shit-eating grin on my face. I was taking pictures of hillsides and traffic signs. I was the perfect tourist. When he dropped me off I asked him where my hotel was. He had no clue, so I cut off in the complete wrong direction. I dragged all of my earthly belongings behind me as I shuffled acros busy streets and through the stares of countless Japanese. Wondering what the hell I was doing. I was finally stopped by an old man.

"Where you from?" He asked.

"America!" I said with an ounce of shame.

"Ahhhh! Texas!" He replied. 

I smiled, and said "Close. Minnesota!" He looked at me utterly confused. 

"Thats okay...you are very handsome." and he walked away. Apparently Texas is all there is in America. Thank you Bush. 

I spent the next two days entirely alone. At a Hotel I thought was intended for me by my company. When we finally started training, I met all of the other trainees in the lobby and we started off to our meet-up. Turns out I was in the wrong hotel this whole time. I would have had my accommodations covered, but those are minor details...right? The wounds from that are still fresh, after two months. In fact, they might be infected. 

Training was wild. I met some amazing people who I think I will be close with for the rest of my life. It takes a certain kind to drop everything that is comfortable and move to a strange foreign country. Especially in a company that is so uncertain, and a profession with literally no definitive answers as this. I did not know where I was living until the first day of training. They did not have an apartment for me until the day I was leaving for it. I didn't have a car, or even know what schools or how many I would be teaching in until I moved to my new home. We all are in the same boat. Almost everyone had that same bit of uncertainty. Maximum respect to all of these people. 

Since training I have begun my new profession. It is literally one of the best experiences of my life. I love my job on a level I did not know I could. I go into class every day with a massive smile. I almost dance down the halls, and (literally) sing my way through most lessons. I could not be happier. It used to be said when describing me by someone who knows me well that I had a deep darkness inside. I lost it. Unless trouble from home is brewing, I am shamelessly happy. I smile and laugh all day long. This is therapy. I wish everyone could do this for a year.

I plan on making it more than one year. I don't want to stop so soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment